Wednesday 23 December 2009

Last Receipt From Borders


I braved the crowds this morning to see If I could get any last minute bargains at Borders in Leeds. There really isn't that much left, just about six tables packed with books and judging by how busy Leeds has become this lunch, I am guessing probably very little now left.

Most of the titles left seemed to be romance novels, children's books and books by second rate comedians and ex soap stars. Dragging the rear were a few by authors which I think belong in the eighties.

Still, managed to pick up a copy of Richard II, script to the play Miss Julie(which I have seen several friends in several different stage versions of - sometimes too much of said friend) and also a book I remember doing at school called "I'm the King of the Castle" by Susan Hill; which coincidentally I happened to be talking about the fish scene to Mazz In Leeds the other day.

The rest of my selection was a bit random with novels set mainly in the Victorian period  in the hope I can get some ideas for future DAC stories.

Its a real shame that Borders is closing its doors. Between them and the nearby Waterstone's there was always a good bet that if one of them did not have a book you were looking for the other would. I think in general, I probably bought more reference books from Borders than anything else. It is also going to leave quite a blank space on the Brigatte and with several other shops displaying closing down signs,it is not looking to bright.

1 comment:

  1. Holy cow, that's some cheap books!

    I don't think I've bought a book anywhere except via Amazon for about five years.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails